Using essential oils can help stimulate the 'energy centers' and bring them back into balance.
Here are some ways that you can use aromatherapy to balance, heal and help open the chakras:
- Through therapeutic skincare
- By direct topical application
- Though inhalation methods - especially to help decongestion and respiratory problems.
- Many of the essential oils associated with each chakra overlap, so it may be a good idea to keep notes on which oils and blends you use for each one. Remember also that people do react in different ways to essential oils, so it is important to use your intuition and to try different blends!
- Create a safe space for healing with a lovely candle in a dark and quiet room. Select one essential oil for each chakra and put a few drops of each oil on a separate cotton pad, lining your 7 pads up in order. Starting with the base chakra, inhale using your base chakra cotton pad whilst holding your hands on or over your base chakra (lower abdomen or feet) with the intention of healing, also focusing on regulating your breath. Work your way up your body, working each chakra with its relative oil, until you reach the crown chakra. Notice how it feels – where are the imbalances?
- Diffuse your chosen blend into the room, day or night – add 3 drops of up to 3 different essential oils in water in your candle burner or aromatherapy diffuser. Allow yourself time and space to sit with the scents and let your mind drift. This is great whilst meditating, especially with crown chakra blends!
- Mix 2 drops of up to 3 different oils in 15ml of carrier oil – such as Grapeseed or Sweet Almond – and massage your chakra blends into the area of the body you are focusing on. This will mean that the essential oils get absorbed into your blood stream and can stay in your body, working to balance your chakras, for up to a week. This is great for things like throat, heart, solar plexus and sacral chakra balancing – and can be really relaxing too!
- Create a spritz of your favorite blend and use it during yoga, breathwork or meditation! Add up to 30 drops of essential oils in 100ml of a chosen carrier oil and pop it in a spray bottle. A lovely grounding blend could work wonderfully here!
- Add a few drops of the essential oils you have chosen into a bath blend – mix up to 2 drops each of 3 essential oils with half a cup of milk and pop it into your bath! While you are in the bath, sit and focus your attention on sending energy to the particular chakra you want to help balance, breathing into that part of the body. Notice how it feels.
- Try an aura cleanse! While your chakras are within your body, they also extend into your aura which is the energetic field surrounding your body. Select the oils you want to work with and place them on a cotton pad next to the bed so you can inhale them. Lemon, Lime and Bergamot are great cleansing oils for this! Lying on your back, take your hands about 1-2 feet away from your body, slowly start to hover your hands over your base chakra (feet) and see if you can feel a slight resistance as you enter into your aura. Once you feel it, work your way up all your chakras, inhaling and exhaling the scent of your blend, with the intention of cleansing your aura.
The most useful essential oil of all is lavender, which can be used to energize and balance all seven.